You are hereHome ›
Where can I find free or low-cost compost in San Francisco?
Locally-produced compost, made from materials diverted from the waste stream, can be obtained for free or at a small cost in San Francisco:
Urban Agriculture Resource Centers - Urban Agriculture Resource Centers are a free monthly service of the SF Rec and Park Urban Agriculture Program.
- Free compost, soil and mulch are always available for pick up.
- To best address as many gardeners citywide as possible, the location of the Resource Center changes every month.
Recology hosts Compost Giveaway days in partnership with SF Environment and other city agencies.
- Complimentary compost and soil amendments are offered for pickup at garden or farm sites throughout the city.
- Participants can pick up several gallons of materials for free.
Bayview Greenwaste generously donates compost to the community.
- Compost is available for free if picked up, or can be delivered for a small fee.
- Pick up free compost Monday - Friday 7am-3:30pm and Saturday 7am-12 noon. For more information or to schedule a delivery. Email Bayview Greenwast directly to arrange pickup or delivery.
I want to start composting in my backyard! How do I start? (PDF pamphlet)
Free Urban Composting Classes - Garden for the Environment offers free Urban Composting classes on backyard and worm composting.
Photo: Phil Shaw
San Francisco is habitat for 800,000 people – meeting needs for space to work, play, and learn; for food, water, and air; for community with local flora and fauna. SF Environment provides support for urban agriculture and forestry and green buildings, helping residents and businesses harness environmental opportunities.