May 3 2016 Planning and Funding Committee Meeting Minutes Draft

 

City and County of San Francisco

Urban Forestry Council

Planning and Funding Committee

Meeting Minutes Draft

 

Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 4:00 p.m.

Offices of the San Francisco Planning Department

1650 Mission Street, Room 400

San Francisco, CA  94103

 

Committee Members:  Members Andrew Sullivan (Chair), Dan Flanagan, Dan Kida, Igor Lacan and Jon Swae

 

Order of Business

 Public comment will be taken before the Council takes action on any item.

  

1.     Call to Order and Roll Call. Meeting convened at 4:02 pm.  Members Sullivan, Flanagan, and Kida present; members Lacan and Swae excused.

 

2.     Approval of Minutes of the April 5, 2016 Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee Meeting. (Explanatory Document: April 5, 2016 Meeting Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action) Member Flanagan moved to approve the meeting minutes and Member Sullivan seconded. The meeting minutes were approved without objection.

 

3.     Public Comment:  Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
Rupa Bose: The Forest Alliance is contacted about tree removals when it’s generally too late. She expressed concern that development plan timelines do not include plans for tree removal numbers and requested that the Urban Forestry Council work to identify potential tree removals before the development plan is far enough along that it’s before the public for comment and review, when it’s too late to change the plans.

 

4.     Treasure Island Development Authority urban forestry work. The Committee will discuss TIDA’s tree removal and planting plans, tree protection and removal policies, and project timelines as it relates to urban forestry.  Speakers: Peter Brastow, Biodiversity Coordinator, San Francisco Department of the Environment and Pamela Conrad, Associate, CMG Landscape Architecture (Discussion)
Peter Brastow from SFE, Pamela Conrad TICD, Peter Summerville from TIDA, and Julian Pancoast from TICD presented. Mr. Pancoast outlined TICD’s role with TIDA and the development plan. Mr. Brastow and Ms. Conrad provided information clarifying the number of trees that are planned for planting and removal and project timelines for the TIDA development work. TIDA and TICD staff identified that 2,500 trees are planned for removal and 3,700 trees are planned for planting over the full project build out; of these, 985 trees are planned for removal from Yerba Buena Island and 700 trees are planned for planting on Yerba Buena Island. Member Flanagan requested that TIDA consider a 1:1 replacement on Yerba Buena Island. The Committee discussed TIDA’s Tree Removal Guidelines, development area boundaries, preliminary plant palette, the upcoming work on habitat management on Yerba Buena Island that will be led by Peter Brastow and that Habitat Management Plan boundaries, view sheds requirements that limit planting areas, and tree protection plans for trees that will remain in place during and following construction.  TIDA will present to the UFC every six months on tree removals and plantings since the last update, upcoming significant tree removals, and tree species selection for upcoming plantings. The UFC members are invited to participate in future volunteer stewardship   workdays on Yerba Buena Island that will be led by Peter Brastow.

 

Public Comment:
Rupa Bose: Identified that existing trees on Yerba Buena Island have habitat value and requested that Yerba Buena Island Habitat Management Plan be amended to identify plants in terms of their ability to provide ecologic and habitat value instead of identifying plants as native or invasive.

 

5.     Urban Forestry Council Work Planning. The Committee will discuss guidelines and plans for reviewing significant area plans in the upcoming year. (Discussion and Possible Action)

Coordinator Hui reported that she followed up on the request form the committee last month requesting staff contacts to develop a notification list to request information on large scale area plans in the future and received a response from the Planning Department. The Committee discussed thresholds for identification of significant area plans, including consideration of number of trees that may be removed, number of trees planned for planted, project footprint, and project cost. The Committee asked staff to again request staff contacts from departments represented on the UFC and for feedback on thresholds to determine whether a project is “significant.”

 

Public Comments:

Rupa Bose requested that the UFC consider neighborhood significance, noting that 3 trees removed from a small park could presented a significant impact. Ms. Bose reported that her organization, the Forest Alliance, is contacted by individuals regarding tree removals but that it’s usually too late to do anything about it when they hear. She requested that the UFC assume responsibility for monitoring for citywide tree removals. 

 

6.     Review of the 2016 Annual Urban Forest Report Survey. The Committee will review and discuss the survey for the 2016 Annual Urban Forest Report. (Explanatory Document: 2015 Annual Report Survey, 2015 Alternative Survey and 2015 Annual Report) (Discussion) 
Chair Sullivan reported that he requested this item to be heard to check in on the report in advance if the survey distribution. The Committee had no comments on the survey and there was no public comments. 

 

7.     Street Tree Financing Plan for the City and County of San Francisco. The Committee will discuss Supervisor Scott Weiner’s efforts to establish a street tree financing plan. (Discussion) 
Coordinator Hui reported that the proposal was introduce 2 weeks ago. Member Flanagan reported that he understands that the Board of Supervisors plans to hear the item in mid-June. The UFC will hear the item at their May 27, 2016 meeting, where Supervisor Wiener or his representative will present. 

 

Public Comment:

Markos Major requested information on the potential for San Francisco School District funding for tree care under this proposal. Member Flanagan reported that the measure allows $500K in funding to be directed to the SFUSD for tree care.

 

8.     New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion)
No new business at this time.

 

Meeting was adjourned due to lost quorum at 5:15pm. No other items were heard.

 

9.     Public Comment:  Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.

 

10.  Adjournment.

 

The next Planning and Funding Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 4:00 p.m., Offices of the San Francisco Planning Department, 1650 Mission Street, Room 400.

 

 

Posted: May 23, 2016