San Francisco Department of the Environment

SF Energy Watch Success Story: Cliff House

cliff_house.jpg

Located on a bluff overlooking the ocean on the same site the first Cliff House stood on as far back as 1863, the restaurant became part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area in 1977. The proprietor of the 25,000 square foot facility is dedicated to sustainable practices and enrolled in the SF Energy Watch program for technical advice and financial incentives for energy efficiency upgrades. 

"SF Energy Watch helped the Cliff House lower its environmental impact, reduce business costs and create good PR. It’s really a win-win-win all around!"

cliff_house_2.jpg

In 2010, the restaurant carried out refrigeration retrofits and in 2012 the lighting was upgraded throughout the facility, which includes two full-service restaurants, two bars, three cocktail lounges, and a banquet area. Through simple actions and with the help of SF Energy Watch, the Cliff House now saves thousands of dollars a year, truly a triple-bottom line success story!

Cliff House replaced over 280 halogen incandescent lamps of various shapes with LED lamps and upgraded its refrigeration and controls, including door closers, fan motors, door gaskets and strip curtains.

cliff_house_savings_snapshot_updated.jpg

*Assume $0.12 per kWh, $6000 for annual maintenance.

Download Case Study >