Recycling and Composting are mandatory for events. San Francisco event producers are required to attend a free zero waste event training.
- Recycling Plan: Special event permit applications must include a recycling plan
- Sufficient Service: Events must subscribe to sufficient recycle, compost and landfill service from Recology
- Containers: Recology also offers recycle, compost and landfill event containers with pre-printed labels to facilitate the event's zero waste program
SF Environment offers free consultations to reduce refuse costs - Call SF Environment at (415) 355-3700.
- Plan - Creating a waste diversion plan to minimize unnecessary refuse costs
- Signage - Optimization of bin and signage setups
- Checklist - Guidance through the process with a Zero Waste Event Checklist
Hiring event greeners is highly recommended for a successful zero waste event.
- Green Mary - Mary Munat: (707) 548-7582
- SF Conservation Corp - Tomer Shapira: (415) 928-7417 x320
- Waste Busters - Mike Siminitus: (530) 219-3676
- SF Clean City Coalition - Gia Grant: (415) 552-9201 x11
- Clean Vibes - Anna Borosfky: (828) 738-3817
- Revolutionary Green - Teresa Bradley: (415) 377-8931
All signage is available through SF Environment. Please call (415) 355-3700 to pick-up signs.
- Printable Pre-made Compost/Recycle/Landfill Signs
- Blank Posters to create your own Composting, Recycling, & Landfill Signs
- Signmaker Tool - Create your own 8.5"x11" recycling and composting signs
- Table Tent Sign (PDF)
- Restroom Paper Towel Compost Sticker (PDF)
Checklists, Products, Vendors
- Zero Waste Checklist for Events (PDF)
- Approved Recyclable and Compostable Food Service Ware (PDF)
- Vendors - Compostable or Recyclable Food Service Ware and Bags (PDF)
Zero Waste Legislation
Learn about zero waste legislation event organizers must follow: Recycling and Composting Ordinance, Checkout Bag Ordinance, Food Service Waste Reduction Ordinance (compostable or recyclable to-go containers and no styrofoam.